Supporting Children and Families
CAPO: Children Affected by Parental Offending
More than 310,000 children in the UK are affected by parental offending every year.
The imprisonment of a household member is seen as one of the 10 Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) known to have a significant impact on children.
Who are we?
At everyFAMILY we have been commissioned by Bristol City Council and South Gloucestershire Council to work with partners (including prisons, probation, schools, Families in Focus teams and the Voluntary Sector) across Bristol to develop a strategic approach to supporting children affected by parental offending (CAPO).
What do we do?
Our aim is to provide a city-wide overview and approach that is needed to support these children and families. Specific activities undertaken to support this aim are:
- Acting as strategic champion for CAPO across Bristol and South Gloucestershire.
- Co-facilitating a steering group for professionals working in areas relating to CAPO.
- Raising awareness and developing/delivering training opportunities.
- Enhancing the offer of support available to children and families along the offender journey from arrest, court proceedings, imprisonment, and release.
- Working in partnership with key partners and creating links with other areas of work.
- Developing information sharing protocols for identifying and recording children and families affected.
- Continued support of the CAPO champions and to grow this network in terms of numbers and into different settings.
For Children and Families
How we can support you
We have a wide network of Champions across Bristol and South Gloucestershire. CAPO Champions are passionate about supporting all children and families who are impacted by a family member’s offending at any point of the criminal justice system. Champions will provide you with a listening ear, advice and guidance, give you the tools to be able to support your children and ensure you are aware of other services that can help you along the way.
How can you get in touch?
Please contact us for non-judgemental, honest advice and support. We are here to help you and provide you with a warming environment and listening ear.
We can also put you in touch with your local CAPO Champion.
We offer CAPO training packages which is available for all professionals working with children/families. This training is FREE of charge. It will provide professionals with the information and tools to be able to support families.
If you are interested in this training being delivered to your organisation, please get in touch.
We work closely with local prisons and a wide range of professionals and are always looking to expand this network. If you are a professional interested in our work and would like to link in for some partnership working please get in touch, we would love to hear from you!
Resources for Professionals
Mapping of Services: This document outlines agencies, services and useful information for professionals supporting families affected by offending. This document will be updated regularly.
Contact the CAPO team:
Anna Jenkins: CAPO Co-ordinator
Kerri Matthews: CAPO co-ordinator